Sunday 9 February 2014

1.4 Incoming!

It was the middle of the night, Amanda had got up to get herself a glass of water. As she reached up for a glass from the cupboard, a terrible pain hit her. She grabbed the counter for support and took a deep breath hoping it was just one contraction - they happened from time to time at this point in her pregnancy.
Pain shot through her body and she couldn't help but to let out a scream. 
Phil and Katie woke up "Amanda! Are you ok?"
"It's...it's coming!"
"The baby's coming! Oh my god! What do we do?!" Phil was shouting.
"Shut up Phil!" Katie said, "Help me get Amanda in here now."
"Our room?"
"Yes! Now!"
Together they got Amanda into the room, Phil continued to freak out whilst Katie remained calm, she seemed to know exactly what to do.
"Breathe Amanda."
"I AM BREATHING....AAAAGH"
After a rather long labour, Amanda finally gave birth to her child. 
"It's a girl!" Amanda said.
"So what are you going to call her?" Katie asked.
"Bonnie." Amanda said.
"That's a wonderful name isn't it Phil?"
Phil didn't say anything. He just looked at Amanda and Bonnie quietly.
Katie went over to Amanda and whispered, "I think he's in shock."
Both of them giggled.
Amanda needed a moment alone with Bonnie. She couldn't believe she was a parent!
"How am I going to be a good parent to this little girl?" Amanda asked herself. She had never been the best role model. In fact, she believed her sister was amazing to have not let herself be influenced by her when they were younger.
Out of nowhere, Bonnie giggled at her mum. At least it sounded like a giggle. Amanda looked down at her and couldn't help but smile at her beautiful daughter.
"I'm going to do my very best Bonnie," she whispered, "I promise."
As the days passed Amanda did her best to look after Bonnie. She still had a while left on maternity leave and spent as much time as possible with her daughter. When the baby slept in the day she would be working out or working on her handiness skill. But she would drop everything in a second if she could hear Bonnie crying.
Katie seemed to be worried, "Ammy, you don't need to do this by yourself. We are here to help."
"It's fine. Maybe when I go back to work I'll need your help, but the younger years are important. I want to be there for her."
"As long as you're sure."
"Of course I am, besides, you need to prepare for your little one coming along." She smiled at her younger sister's stomach.
"Yeah, I guess you're right." Katie smiled back.
It might not have looked like Katie was preparing for her upcoming baby, but in her own way she was. She 
wanted to be able to stop painting for a little while so was getting as many done as she possibly could. Besides, she didn't really know what more she could do but be herself right now. She was eating right and she was getting the nursery ready. What more was really needed?
It was at dinner that the baby came. Amanda had been coming in from giving Bonnie her bottle and she heard Katie say "Phil! My water just broke!"
She ran down the hall and into the living room to help her sister as she went into labour.
Phil of course, was freaking out again. It seemed he was never going to get used to babies being born near him.
"For goodness sake Phil! Don't just stand there waving your arms, help!" Amanda shouted
"Oh, right of course. Push Katie! Breathe Katie!"
"That's not...aaargh...helping!" Katie yelled
"Phil," Amanda said in a calmer voice, "Go get some towels ok?"
Eventually Katie gave birth to a beautiful baby boy.
"Awww" Amanda sighed, "What you gonna call him sis?"
"Well, me and Phil have decided to call him Shaun." Katie said
"Shaun? That's a lovely name Kate!"
NOTE: Shaun seems like quite the cheeky one winking his little eye like that.
After so many phone calls, Amanda couldn't take it any more.
She paced up and down the hall talking and talking before she nearly broke.
"Look Bobby, I'm her mother and I'm raising her here. No she won't miss out on having a father, her uncle lives in the same house as her. Besides, we don't have room for any more adults in the house right now."
She paused to listen.
"Marry you?! No way! Look, please just stop calling. I don't want your money and I - Don't - Want - You!"
With that she turned the phone off and sat on the couch.
"Are you okay Amanda?"
Amanda was surprised to see Phil standing at the garden door.
"Look, if you're going to tell me it's my own -" she started.
"Of course not! You made your decision and you should stick to it. Besides, he's a sleazebag anyway."
"Huh?"
"Look, I really am sorry about what I said before, it was wrong. I never properly apologised. But you seem to really be putting your life together right now. Anyway, about before, you had every right to do what you wanted, you're a single gal after all." He said.
"Thanks Phil." Amanda smiled.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Amanda and Phil seem to have put their differences behind them :) Looking forward to seeing the babies grow up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, happy Amanda and Phil are starting to get on better, I wonder what the problem was?

    Phil made me laugh, freaking out ;) At least the girls had each other! Can't wait to see how the babies turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, babies! I'm looking forward to seeing how they look when they grow up.

    I wonder if Bobby's persistence will continue to play a role in the story...

    ReplyDelete